South Dakota Focus: Veterans and College

SD Focus - 05/31/2012



As more veterans return home from the war, more are taking the opportunity to get their college education through the GI Bill. We'll visit with a few of our service men and women about their decision to go back to school and what programs are available to help make this transition as easy one. Also joining host Stephanie Rissler to talk about the challenges facing veterans, State Senator Mark Johnston and  Lt. Col. Tony D.Forbes with the Office of the Chairman of the Joints Chiefs of Staff, Warrior and Family Support. The program airs live at 8pm CT / 7mt on SDPB TV or watch online at



For more information and additional links:

Joint Chief of Staff's

Office of the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff
9999 Joint Staff Pentagon
Washington, D.C. 20318-9999


Warrior and Family Support website:

Tony Forbes contact details:

 LTC Tony Forbes, USA

Regional Director - West


United States of Veterans Affairs:

Education (GI Bill) 1.888.442.4551

Website GI Bill

GO Army ED website:


Directory of Veterans Service Organizations


South Dakota Department of Military and Veteran Affairs:


Student Veterans of America

SVA's office is located in Washington D.C.  Below is our physical mailing address as well as our phone number.  For prompt service please fill out and submit an online  contact form below and one of our staff members will respond shortly.  If you are member of the media, please send an email to:

Student Veterans of America
P.O. Box 77673
Washington D.C. 20013
Telephone: (866) 320-3826In South D

1-877-57Fax: (605) 773

University of South Dakota Veterans Services:


Contact details: USD Veterans' Services Belbas Center Room 212 University of South Dakota 414 E. Clark Street Vermillion SD 57069 Work Phone: 605-677-8833 Work Phone2: 1-877-COYOTES Fax: 605-677-6753


Dakota State University Veterans Affairs:

Call us at (605) 256-5648, 1-888-378-9988 or email


South Dakota State University Veterans Affairs:

Veterans Affairs - SDSU is a fully accredited university eligible to provide GI Bill educational assistance for qualified veterans and dependents. Eligible dependents and veterans should contact the Veterans Service Office, SAD 108, South Dakota State University, Box 2201, Brookings, SD 57007, phone 605-688-4700, for application forms and information concerning their benefits.


Black Hills State University Veterans Affairs:

Mike McNeil, Disabilities Liaison
1200 University St Unit 9078
Spearfish, SD 57799-9078
Phone: 605.642.6099

Northern State University

Questions and comments that cannot be addressed through the various contacts listed on this site can be sent to:  Rhoda Smith, Vice President for Student Affairs, Graham Hall 104, or 605-626-2530, or


 South Dakota School of Mines and Technology





Click here to play Real Media:
South Dakota Focus: Veterans and College
Get the Flash Player to see this video.